First, let me thank my family, friends, and relatives for the warm birthday greetings this week. I appreciate all the effort you have put into – especially the beautiful collages and photos.
It’s my second year after my Mom’s passing. Birthdays are not as they used to be.
In the last 12 months, a lot has happened. The journey has been very surreal! Allow me to list the things that has happened:
- Singapore Trip 2014 (Late October 2014): My trip to Singapore was the second trip abroad after London-Paris of 2013. It is part of my promise to travel to at least one country each year. This time it was a ‘pilgrimage’ inspired by the Ah Boys to Men series. It was also the first time I stayed in a hostel, the Royal Hostel. A beautifully maintained accommodation in Singapore’s Chinatown.
- BNI Director Consultants Training November 2014: After my trip to Singapore, I flew to Kuala Lumpur to attend the Director Consultants Training at the Business Network International (BNI) Malaysia Headquarters.
- BNI Horizons Information Meeting: This was my first attempt to bring together businesses and professionals in Kuching to form a local group of 50+ businesses under the name BNI Horizons. Unfortunately I had to stop Horizons in its 8th week. Although it was unsuccessful, it gave me insight on how not to start a chapter. No doubt I felt down after that.
- Sarawak Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI): In mid this year, I joined the Annual General Meeting of the SCCI. A few months ago, I was also given the honour and trust to be co-opted into the 64th Annual Dinner Organising Committee.
- Dewan Usahawan Bumiputera Sarawak (DUBS): Joined as an individual member of DUBS. At the moment, looking for opportunities to volunteer with the Kuching branch after speaking with my Aunt.
- BNI National Conference 2015: This was something I never expected would happen. In August 2015, I went to Kuala Lumpur for the BNI Malaysia National Conference. There I got to meet many members throughout the country. Even veteran members like Desmond Sia, who we heard a lot about during my home chapter’s information meeting in 2014. What I took out of it is not just the connections, but also it sent me to “discover the why”: why am I in business? Why is my company operating?
- Assigned to BNI Eminence Core Group: Upon returning from KL, I told my region’s Executive Directors, “Let’s give BNI Horizons another start.” I was assigned to BNI Eminence Core Group (BNI Eminence Facebook Page). At time of writing, we are mid-way towards the 20+ mark before we close the meeting sessions to prepare our members for their grand launch. Joining me in helping the business owners and professionals of BNI Eminence is Ms. Angela Loh, BNI Ambassador to Eminence, who is also a lawyer by trade. We’re both from the same home chapter, BNI Signature Chapter (Signature Facebook Page).
- Hazel Walker Conference: Who would have thought I’d meet the Queen of Networking – and author – Hazel Walker?! The conference was organised by BNI KL South & West Region. They brought in Hazel to share with members, the Leadership Team, and Directors & Ambassadors in attendance on best practice to help us support members growing their business.
- Krabi Trip 2015 (October 6th to 12th, 2015): Just before the close of my 28th year, I went to Krabi for my annual trip abroad. I almost missed this trip! I bought the tickets in June, thinking I could join the Dropship Lifestyle Retreat 2015. It is organised by Anton Kraly (http://www.antonkraly.com/)for members of the Dropship Lifestyle (http://www.dropshiplifestyle.com/). Unfortunately I had to give the retreat a miss. I was hoping I’d bump into participants of the programme either along the serene beaches of Aonang or at Krabi International Airport. Alas, I had no such luck.
I have a feeling a lot more has happened. But let’s keep it at this for now. Here’s to the next 1 year!
Thank you all once again! 😀